summary on database help

Subject: summary on database help
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:06:15 -0700

Thank you to everyone who answered my inquiries about using a
database-structure for on-line help! Several people asked for a summary,
so this message is an attempt.

Here are the products people suggested:

o Forehelp in combination with MS Access
o Forehelp in combination with Hyperhelp (for the UNIX help files)
o MS Access
o MS Access in combination with Visual Basic
o Lotus Notes
o an Oracle database

It sounds like some people keep their help files directly in the
database, while others use the database to keep track of where
everything is and pull out what RTF files need to be in what help files.

I'm sorry I'm not able to summarize better than that. If you want me to
forward some of the messages to you ("sans" the names ;-), please e-mail
me and I'll try to oblige. I barely understand how this will work (and
neither does my boss), so parts of the messages sent to me didn't really
make sense to me, but I'm going to save them for when we're in the midst
of the project. Then maybe I'll look and say, "Oh, now I get it!"

(By the way, it isn't my decision on what software we'll use and how
we'll run this thing, or I would share what the plan is.)

Hillary Jones