making an on-line help database

Subject: making an on-line help database
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:23:13 -0700

Has anyone out there ever created on-line help with a database-type
structure? Basically, we're taking on an extremely complex project and
don't see any way that we can track it by hand. We'd like to use some
sort of help-authoring tool that functions like a database, so we can
tag files for different products and releases, link the files to
buttons/menu items in our interface, reference one file's text in
another file, etc.

As an added difficulty, the help files would need to work on both UNIX
and Windows NT.

Has anyone ever done something like this? What tools did you use? Any
tips for how to tackle a project like this? Any resources you'd
recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hillary Jones