Re: Capital letters

Subject: Re: Capital letters
From: Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:49:20 -0400

The practice of excessive capitalization is not limited to technical
fields. When I was editor of the University of Waterloo's student
newspaper, a lot of beginning writers there would capitalize whenever in
doubt.

It was especially difficult to convince them that position names
(whether administrative or athletic) were lowercase unless you were
talking about a political leader.

The president of the university is president Joe Blow, but the president
of the United States is President Clinton.

And despite his commanding presence in the pocket, quarterback Biff
Henderson warrants only a small q.