Re: Re[2]: Query: stuffed/zipped generic term

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Query: stuffed/zipped generic term
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:52:55 -0800

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997 08:22:50 -0500, Walker, Arlen P wrote:

> I've seen only one disk-compression system that operated strictly on
> an individual-files basis: ZipStream for OS/2.
>
>Must be because you've spent so much time holed up on OS/2.

That could be. I didn't say others didn't exist, only that I've only
seen the one. :-)

> The true beauty of this type of system is that it works on the files
> themselves, rather than the disk, so the type of file system in use
> becomes irrelevant.
>
>And there are two main troubles: Since the decompression happens at OS
>level rather than disc driver level there is more opportunity for things to
>interfere with the compression/decompression operation.

Well, assuming you have a task-switching, cooperative-multitasking, or
lousy-at-timeslicing OS. ZipStream, at least, installs as just another
Installable File System (IFS) in OS/2, the same as HPFS, TVFS, etc.

>And, since all disc
>storage systems have a minimum blocksize, it can lead to a greater waste of
>disc space than driver-level compression, depending upon the size of the
>file.

Well, I doubt you'd have a GREATER waste of space by compressing files,
even using FAT16 on a 2GB disk. After all, if you can shrink a 34k
file even by a measly 10%, it will then take up only one 32k cluster,
instead of two, effectively reducing USED space by 50%. This becomes
less an issue under filesystems such as HPFS, which use disk sectors
(512b) directly.

>To get back to "archive" vs "compress:" An archive collects multiple files
>together into one file for an implied destiny of storage off-line. (The "t"
>in "tar" stands for "tape.")

"tape archival and recovery" or something like that, isn't it?

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>