Re: Query: stuffed/zipped generic term

Subject: Re: Query: stuffed/zipped generic term
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 14:42:37 -0500

Mac files are stuffed and Windows files are zipped, playing off the
names of popular software programs for this function. What is the
generic name regardless of platform -- compressed?

Not a safe generalization to make, as I've seen PC files Stuffed and Mac
Files Zipped. (There are Zip applications for the Mac, and there is a
Stuffit for Windows.)

And yes, I'd use "compressed." "Archived" might get you in trouble in some
areas. "Archive" has too many other uses not related to generic file
compression.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224