From .DOC files to .PDF

Subject: From .DOC files to .PDF
From: Garret Romaine <Garret -dot- Romaine -at- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 15:02:04 -0700

The department web site here is littered with .ZIPs containing multiple
Word files, and I'd like to figure a "best way" to get them squeezed
through Adobe Distiller into a single .PDF file for each manual. I didn't
see much that was directly relevant in the archives, so I'm checking here.
This seems like something people would have been confronted with already.

One method we're having trouble with is using FrameMaker as an interim
step, but it may be due to operator error. On paper, the conversion should
'just work,' but there are all kinds of glitches, and it isn't the answer
so far. My idea was to use the "Book" feature to manage everything into one
file before going into Distiller. But Adobe and Microsoft seem to argue
between themselves...

One question -- can you manually "stitch" separate .PDFs together into a
single file? Then we could just convert each .DOC file in turn, and paste
them end on end. We'd probably lose page numbering and other information if
we try that.

We have several issues to confront. One is the use of landscape format for
the Word files, when .PDFs are best in portrait. Another is over-reliance
on Word's art tools, which Adobe seems to drop immediately.

Any help would be appreciated. Off-line is probably best.

Garret Romaine
garret -dot- romaine -at- radisys -dot- com