Writers vs developers salaries (was RE: Salary info from Coopers and Lybrand survey)

Subject: Writers vs developers salaries (was RE: Salary info from Coopers and Lybrand survey)
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 14:04:41 -0500

On Monday, August 04, 1997 12:55 PM, Gurudutt Kamath
[SMTP:guruk -at- giasbm01 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in] wrote:

> I am curious as to the salary/payment relationship betweeen techies
and
> technical writers. Is it 1:1, 1.5:1, 2:1 or what. Meaning, do
technical
> writers get as much as programmer techies for the same sort of
experience
> and background or are we paid less.

We are not allowed to discuss salaries at work, but of course everyone
does...at least in some vague manner. I would say that my experience has
been that the developers I work with make 1.5 to 2 times as much as I
do. The managers in development probably make lots more than that, even.
I know the houses they are buying are sometimes 3 - 4 times what I paid
for my little abode. I must not be living right.

I work for a software developer and programmers are gods. The measure is
not if you do what you're supposed to do and well, but rather if you're
"technical" enough. It's the only word that counts.

Jane Bergen
Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc.
Richardson, TX