Re: Providing Salary Info

Subject: Re: Providing Salary Info
From: Pat Gantt <pagantt -at- POSTOFFICE -dot- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 11:13:30 -0500

> On Monday of this week I posted a text version of my resume with
> http://www.headhunter.net As of yesterday (Thursday) I have received five
> calls for possible interviews. If you are in the job market, this seems
> like a very visible place to post your resume. Just FYI!!

Actually this site and other tech. and HR sites are wonderful
ways to get legitimate contacts and hits.

I have received many but the same ol' not mobile routine <sigh>

When dealing w/ thru. headhunters always have the employer
pay the fee. If a company values you (as they should) it
is a good sign that they may value your experience, education,
etc.

> This brings me to my question.
>
> When being courted by a company's HR person, it seems that they always
> want to know what salary I am currently earning. Do you think that it is
> bad to reveal this information in terms of negotiating my salary later
> with the hiring manager?

Much the same vein of answering the question with a question
technique. Usually a range is mentioned in the first interview
a non-answer is best. Negotiations in earnest begin after the
actual job offer. Did you know that 401K, vacations, comp.
time, spice/SO job leads are possible? Ah but you say
the HR Department went over the benefits package etc.
and the company policy is...

Not really. You would be surprised after the job offer is
made (depending upon if the proper supply and demand ratio
in your favor). More jobs than people qualified to fill
in that geographical area. i.e. Atlanta and environs.

I call this the "Oh, by the way <voice trailing>" routine.

HR and your potential new "boss" can come up with alternatives
and accommodations *if* they really want what you have
to offer. Avoid money discussions at all costs. This
takes diplomacy and dancing.

HR/Boss: What salary range are you looking for/ already
are earning.... ?

You: What salary range does this position typically pay... ?

Answer questions w/ questions [inquiry method of questions
to solicit information and body language clues and intuitive
expression]

>Should I keep that to myself, or does it even
> matter?

Yes, if you can dance as above and are in the driver's
seat on the right side of the supply/demand equation.

>I have a full time job, so I feel like I have the one-up position
> here to ask for what I want with nothing to compel me (e.g. paying the
> bills) to settle for what they are offering.

Yes, an admirable one... the old adage is it is much
easier to get a job when you have one is very true.
Unfortunately not all of us are always so lucky.

Congratulations and dance well my friend!

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Best Regards,

Pat Gantt, M.S. HRD
Personal email ~ pagantt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net
The University of Tennessee Alum
Technical and Vocational Studies Guide
~ The Mining Company ~
Biz Mail ~ votech -dot- guide -at- miningco -dot- com
http://votech.miningco.com
[humor = (intelligence + personality)]
GO VOLS! Don't ask Peyton who!