Providing Salary Info

Subject: Providing Salary Info
From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:13:21 -0400

All,

I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this before, but I think it is
worth your attention.

On Monday of this week I posted a text version of my resume with
http://www.headhunter.net As of yesterday (Thursday) I have received five
calls for possible interviews. If you are in the job market, this seems
like a very visible place to post your resume. Just FYI!!

This brings me to my question.

When being courted by a company's HR person, it seems that they always
want to know what salary I am currently earning. Do you think that it is
bad to reveal this information in terms of negotiating my salary later
with the hiring manager? Should I keep that to myself, or does it even
matter? I have a full time job, so I feel like I have the one-up position
here to ask for what I want with nothing to compel me (e.g. paying the
bills) to settle for what they are offering.

Comments? Suggestions? Answers?

Matthew J. Long
Technical Writer
mjl100z -at- mail -dot- odu -dot- edu
matt -dot- long -at- justice -dot- usdoj -dot- gov

-When you can't be eloquent, choose brevity!