Docutechs and Colour Inserts

Subject: Docutechs and Colour Inserts
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 17:39:19 +0800

I'm another contented Docutech user. I e-mail a gzipped PostScript file
to my print vendor, and get back 15 - 25 nicely bound manuals inside
24 hours.

I'm very happy with the binding and covers and the quality of the text
and screen shots. Next I'd like to try including some colour screen
shots. Until recently we didn't really use colour much in the software.
Now we have a couple of products with real-time consoles, where colour
is used to show warnings, severe alerts, etc. I like the idea of
inserting an occasional colour screen shot to show things that are a
bit tedious to explain in words.

The trouble is that black and white pages are dirt cheap and colour
pages are relatively very expensive. As I understand it, we'd have to
print all the B&W pages on the Docutech, then print the colour pages
separately, then have someone insert them by hand before the manuals
are bound.

Is there an easier solution?

Regards
---