Re: Odd-size Manuals

Subject: Re: Odd-size Manuals
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:45:17 -0700

>At 06:27 PM 7/30/97 -0500, Dan Wise asks:
>>I read a lot of messages giving advice on the production of manuals in sizes
>>other than 8.5 x 11. But I don't think I saw anyone ask the question *why?*

And Wayne Douglass answers:
>...IBM wanted to make it hard to pirate..and settled on the
>7 x 9 inch format...and we've been living with it ever since.

Yabbut, pretty much all the users I've talked to over the years prefer
the smaller books because they take up less desk real estate. AAMOF,
once when I sent out beta dox in 8.5x11, a user commented that the
book was way too big. Totally confused as to why 100 or so pages was
too much info, I called for clarification. The ensuing conversation
regarding crop marks was remarkably entertaining <g>.

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams