Re[2]: Price Range for User Manual

Subject: Re[2]: Price Range for User Manual
From: Virginia Day <Virginia_Day -at- DATACARD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:55:30 -0500

Basically, I agree that fixed-price work is a bad idea.

I used to work for a contract house writing, estimating, and managing
pubs projects. Customers who insisted were offered "time and
materials not to exceed" contracts if conditions were right. The key
to success with these projects was stating clear assumptions, getting
customer agreement (signatures), and *identifying change in scope*.
For each change in scope, a cost was provided, and customers could
agree to the change (with a signature) or re-think their request.
Identifying changes in scope takes a lot of experience.

I would stay with "time and materials" projects for now and develop
your own antennae for change of scope. Try keeping project logs--to
record phone calls, e-mail, reviews, etc. If you have an estimated
cost for a project, and compare it to the actual cost at the end, you
should be able to go back through the logs and identify the changes
contributing the difference between estimated and actual. After
several of these projects, you will be able to identify cost impacts
as customers are requesting changes. Only then are you close to ready
to address "Time and materials not to exceed" bids. You also need to
make it clear that you might need to turn back unfinished work if the
customer does not agree to pay more or control changes--an unpleasant
situation. Having a separate terms and conditions page for your
agreements can separate these business issues from the creative stuff.
(Yes, you need an agreement for each project, and yes, technical
writing is a creative profession.)

Good luck! Virginia

Subject: Re: Price Range for User Manual
Author: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 7/24/97 11:31 AM

I'll respond here with what I sent Matt, since others appear to be
interested in the subject.

Matthew J Long wrote:

> I have heard that most people bid their freelance contracts by the job
> rather than by the hour.

It is NOT true. Most new companies want you to bid it that way, but
most seasoned contractors know better than to bid it that way. The
reason is that what it is that's to be documented rarely stays in the
same form very long, and you usually have to adjust the docs on the fly
while trying to meet a deadline. You simply CANNOT predict up front
what changes the client is going to make and how that's going to affect
the docs, and anybody who says they can is asking for a dunking.

We rarely bid fixed price. What we usually do is estimate how long it
will take us to complete a project, based on what we know, and make it
clear that we charge by the hour, and then quote them the per hour
rate(s). Based on that, we ESTIMATE that it will cost $XXX to do their
manual of approximately yyy pages. However, we also tell them in the
contract that our estimate was based on zzz information and the
assumption that all parties will meet the deadlines in the schedule we
attach, and that if these assumptions change, our estimate will also
change. Dr. Joann Hackos, in her book "Managing Your Documentation,"
gives some estimates on p. 190, including 5 hrs/finished page for a user
guide. That's probably accurate.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems