Re: FWD: Copyright Issue

Subject: Re: FWD: Copyright Issue
From: Virginia Day <Virginia_Day -at- DATACARD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:16:31 -0500

Hi,

I'm just a tech writer, but I did many research projects in school on
copyright, and live in the same metro area as a publisher specializing
in the law, so I hear the results of their copyright cases (and I play
a lawyer on TV--just kidding).

The information should be public property, assuming that the abstracts
are what was published in the court record. (If the publisher
modified the abstracts, there might be a copyright issue with the
content itself.) The access methods used by the original publisher
are copyrighted. Are you borrowing those access methods or
implementing a different method of accessing cases? I'd take a close
look at the copy right page/topic in one of those books--it might tell
you a lot.

I wonder about the work itself. Why should you create one system when
it appears that the publisher has an online access system? Wouldn't
it be wise to use that? Oh, well.

Regards, Virginia

Subject: FWD: Copyright Issue
Author: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 7/23/97 2:25 PM

FORWARDED ANONYMOUSLY ON REQUEST. DO NOT REPLY
TO ME--REPLY TO THE LIST.

=====================================

I believe I may have a copyright problem and need some assistance. Please
respond to the list...not to Eric. This is being posted anonymously for
reasons that will become readily apparent.

Our company purchased a number of books (some are hardcopy...some are on
disc) that compile law abstracts year by year. The law department wants me
to build a database in Folio using the information in these books verbatim.
When I asked about copyright clearance had been obtained, I was told "don't
worry about it...we paid for the books."

Now I'm no lawyer (my internal clients are), but my understanding of
copyright is that you cannot use the information in any form (even to build
a database) without permission.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed to death. I don't have Web
access at work so I haven't been able to check the archives. Also, if there
is another list that discusses copyright, I would be interested in knowing
about it.