Re: sans serif fonts

Subject: Re: sans serif fonts
From: DWeber <dweber -at- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:45:30 EST

From what I understand, the meaning of sans serif is "with curves"
right? So I would assume just by definition, that a serif font that
is more basic, would be easier to read. I don't know. I think it
just depends on the whole picture: layout design, use of graphics, and
of course, white space (our dear friend). It seems to me that it is a
preference issue...although some would argue that there is a distinct
answer.

Subject: sans serif fonts
Author: Dianne Walsh <ldwalsh -at- voicenet -dot- com> at smtp
Date: 7/24/97 11:38 AM

Buck wrote: the argument for sans serif fonts is indefensible.

Well, here's a defense:

My company publishes some of its smaller manuals as booklets; i.e., = pages
are set up in Word at full size and then we use a print utility to =
literally "shrink" them to half-size. It didn't take us long to find out =
that serif fonts looked terrible and were virtually unreadable when =
reduced. We got much better--and more readable--results using a sans =
serif font (good ol' Arial).=20

Someone else--I think it was Pat Gantt--said that she had understood =
that research showed sans serif fonts to be more readable. I've read =
that too, somewhere. She wasn't making it up.

Dianne Walsh
documentation Manager

Visit the Last of the Red Hot Cybermamas at =
http://www.voicenet.com/~ldwalsh