Re: Degree Snobs

Subject: Re: Degree Snobs
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:52:15 -0500

You know, I've really reached the point where I am tired of hearing
technical writers bash degrees. Who cares whether or not someone has
a degree, but obviously it is a real touchy subject with all of the
technical writers who don't have a degree.

I was going to stay away from this thread, but Sophia's comment tells me
that we need to reiterate the fundamental points of this discussion before
it gets distorted beyond all recognition.

You see, I was getting exactly the opposite impression. It seems to me that
the degree subject keeps getting brought up by the TW's who *have* degrees,
and some of the most heated comments on the topic come from some who seem
offended at the thought that one can actually understand how to do the job
without having a degree.

Is calling a degree unnecessary "bashing" it? Doesn't seem so to me. Why
are those people with degrees so hypersensitive to it?

What was your job before that?

Programming.

Did you go straight into tech writing after high school?

Nope. Did factory work, then a stint in the military before getting a job
as a computer operator and moving up to programmer a year later.

Because if you did, you must have been a very good writer
who knew all about technical communication.

With all modesty, I'll admit to the first, but not the second part of the
charge, your honor. I'm still learning.

Do you have a degree in something else?

Nope. Never felt the need for it. I'm able to read. My house is full of
books and so is the local library. Also the Internet's available. Never was
comfortable paying someone else for what I can do myself.

I learned something. I really did

I'm happy for you, I really am. Learning is wonderful. "Learning is the
only thing a mind never fears and never regrets." (Leonardo Da Vinci) I've
never heard *anyone* on the list write disparagingly of learning. I would
simply caution you against confusing the act of learning with the place in
which you learned. It's possible to learn while getting a degree. In fact,
considering the cash outlay, I'd say it would be highly advisable to do so.
What all the non-degreed people have been saying boils down to two things:

1) It's *possible* to get a degree without learning anything.

2) It's *possible* to learn a great deal without getting a degree.

I'm not sure which of those two points touches a nerve with the degreed
people, but one of them certainly does, and I'm at a loss to understand
why. Can you help me?

Frankly, I am really disappointed. I was always under the impression
that people with higher education were respected.

I respect anyone with an education; it's the piece of paper that's under
discussion, not the education. Why do you keep confusing the two?

I have spent a lot of time, energy and effort into earning a degree.

And I've put a lot of time, energy and effort into *my* education as well.
Please tell me why my expenditure is less worthy of respect than yours.

I don't need to listen to a whole heard of individuals go on about
how worthless my degree is.

The degree? Or the education? They *are* different things, you know.

Good god, you people discriminate against education.

Yes, God *is* good, and no, I don't discriminate against education. I also
don't discriminate against educated people without a piece of paper. That
seems to be the main difference between us here.

BUT I also expect that writer to be open minded enought to realize
there is now more than one way of learning technical communication.

So do I. That's why I keep pointing out it's not the degree that's
important; it's the education.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224