Re: Dress Code *Results*

Subject: Re: Dress Code *Results*
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:45:04 -0500

Here's my fashion question for the week: Why do technical
writers, of all people, have to dress up? What productivity benefit
is achieved by doing so--especially when there are "casual Fridays?"
Who sees them? If there is one day a week when someone can dress
comfortably-- then why not have it all the time? What's the
difference? If productivity suffers on that day, shouldn't it be
stopped? If productivity is greater, shouldn't it be extended? If it
doesn't make a difference--shouldn't the employees be allowed to
choose?

<grump>
I've a simpler question. If you can't be comfortable in more than one style
of clothes, don't you think that's a dangerous sign of personal
inflexibility? I didn't answer the survey, because frankly it doesn't
matter to me. If traditional business clothes are uncomfortable to you, I'm
sorry but I think it's no one's fault but your own. Comfortable clothes
come in all styles; if you can't be bothered to find ones that fit
comfortably don't go blaming somebody else for your own ineptitude.

Personally, I'd worry that a person who can only be comfortable in one
style of clothes wouldn't be able to think "outside the box" when a truly
creative problem solution was required.
<end grump>

If the same males who told women to wear skirts in winter also had
to shell out the bucks for a real wardrobe and not for a
comparatively small collection of suit jackets and shirts and ties
(which all look the same more or less) that can be worn again even in
the same week, then perhaps dress codes wouldn't be as strict as they
appear to be.

Oh, pish-tosh. The real problem is *attitude* not cost. If I'm content to
wear two outfits that look similar during the same week and you're not, why
is it anyone's fault but your own that you have(?) to buy more clothes?

Regards from beautiful (and casual) Wisconsin!

Me, too. Except I'm not so inflexible as to dress in only one style.

Now, can we either put a keyboard on that outfit or get back to more TW-ish
subjects? (Anyone interested, feel free to flame me in private. But be
careful; all flames will be graded, and the decision of the judge is
final.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224