Grow UP and stop knocking those with degrees!!!!

Subject: Grow UP and stop knocking those with degrees!!!!
From: DWeber <dweber -at- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:24:58 EST

You know, I've listened to some of these comments about tech writers
who hold degrees....and I really think some of you are being stupid
and ignorant. I have a degree in tech writing...and let me tell you,
I worked my ass off for it. It was a very tough program....we were
required to go out, find our own contracts, and learn in a real-world
work environment. We were required to write 4 manuals, some
simultaneously in 6 weeks time. I haven't even begun to describe all
the blood, sweat and tears we went through. Not to mention I took 7
classes a semester and worked full-time at Lockheed Martin as a tech
writing student co-op.

So, when I graduated with a very impressive portfolio and got job
offers ALL over the country.....I DESERVED IT!!!!! I had visible
evidence of by abilities, and professional experience already
acquired. Many companies didn't consider me a new-grad...based on my
work experience while in school.

I'm not knocking those who have DON'T have a degree. More power to
you....alot of it is going out and teaching yourself anyway. Most
jobs today look at equivalent experience and wisely do so. But I will
NOT tolerate being called a SNOB because I worked my ASS off to get a
degree. For those of you who have a problem with that....DEAL WITH
IT!!!!

Diana Moran