Finding Initial Freelance Contracts

Subject: Finding Initial Freelance Contracts
From: Gen Whitt <Gen -dot- Whitt -at- SDINC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:11:34 -0700

I got my first freelance contract, and most of them since, by referral.

However, I have been successful in cold calling with computer companies. I
haven't had a lot of success, but some.

I got a list of local software companies from the local business directory.
I called up the company, asking for the person in charge of documentation.
Then I would explain that I was a freelance tech writer and find out if
they needed documentation.

I was about to give up when someone said "yes."

I would definitely recommend referral as a more painless approach, though,
if it's an option for you.

Recently I took a "regular" job: permanent full-time. I don't like the
marketing aspect of freelancing: I like to do technical writing, not all
the other stuff.

Best,

Gen Whitt
Senior Technical Writer
Software Dynamics, Inc.

<Just like everyone else, I would like to get my piece of the pie. I just
<don't know how to get started. I found one post in the archives in which
<the guy said that he did some cold calling with computer companies, but
<then he got his contract through a friend. Which suggested to me that
<his cold calling was ineffective. Does cold calling work for anyone, or
<would I be wasting my time going that route?