Abbreviations

Subject: Abbreviations
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:13:49 -0400

geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA wrote:

>John Cornellier wondered how to determine when to use
>abbreviations, and when to spell out the word or phrase.
>John, there's no simple rule of thumb: you have to know the
>words understood by your audience. Once you're familiar
>with the terms they use, you can make an enlightened
>decision on whether an acronym is OK.

Geoff, I think you're right: knowing the right context in
which to use abbreviations is one of those things that makes
writing an art, rather than an exact science.

That said, I use several other factors to help determine
when to use abbreviations:

1.) first occurence: besides the first time that the abbreviation is
used in the book, I usually spell out the name in full the first time
it's used in a section. My reason is that I assume that most people
aren't reading from cover to cover, but dipping into the book, and would
prefer to avoid looking up the abbreviation in a glossary.

2.) number of abbreviations: even for a technical audience,
I'm likely to use the full name more often if there's four or five dozen
other abbreviations that readers are supposed to remember.

3.) variation for readability: even though a technical audience may know
the abbreviations, I assume that instructions are
easier to follow if they're not a horde of abbreviations. A
careful scattering of the full-name helps clarity.

But, of course, it depends on the abbreviation. There would be no point,
obviously, in spelling out RAM in full, because the
abbreviation is probably more meaningful to most people than the full
name is.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer / Job Bank Team, STC Canada West Coast Chapter

"He said to Hallgerd, 'Let me have two locks of your hair, and help
my mother plait them into a bow-string for me.'
"'Does anything depend on it?' asked Hallgerd.
"'My life depends on it,' replied Gunnar, 'for they will never
overcome me as long as I can use my bow.'
"'In that case,' said Hallgerd, 'I shall now remind you of the slap
you once gave me. I do not care in the least whether you hold out a long
time or not.'"
--Anonymous, "Njal's Saga"