Abbreviations

Subject: Abbreviations
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:11:25 -0500

John Cornellier wondered how to determine when to use
abbreviations, and when to spell out the word or phrase.
John, there's no simple rule of thumb: you have to know the
words understood by your audience. Once you're familiar
with the terms they use, you can make an enlightened
decision on whether an acronym is OK.

For example, in the computer industry, it would make little
sense to spell out "MS-DOS", since we all know what this
refers to; in fact, it's probably more familiar than
"Microsoft Disk Operating System". Same goes for DNA, U.S.,
and a variety of other short forms. (That's the test of a
good acronym or abbreviation, by the way: it's at least as
recognizable as its spelled-out version, and hopefully
more.) On the other hand, if you're describing DOS to a
general audience, you'd be well advised to at least explain
what the acronym means, even if you don't actually spell it
out. But where to spell it out?

Do real people use glossaries? I do... regularly.
Footnotes? Hate 'em, but at least they're better than
endnotes. But maybe I'm not a typical user; after all, I'm
a word nerd. Best way to get people to use a glossary is to
make sure they know that it's there. I always mention this
in the "read me first" sections; in one case, I actually
put the glossary before the main text to make sure that
even people who ignore introductions would likely come
across it while skimming.