Re: Courses to Take

Subject: Re: Courses to Take
From: Tim Merrick <TimM -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:25:09 -0600

Bob Morissette wrote:

> You can become a "certified" FrameMaker
> instructor very easily if you have a few hundred dollars.

It's not quite that easy. Adobe-certified FrameMaker instructors must
pass a proficiency exam. How tough that exam is, I don't know. As we all
know from the long debate over whether or not technical communicators
should be certified, certification does not directly equate with
proficiency. Therefore it is a safe bet that because an instructor is
certified, that does not mean that he or she has any ability to teach.
However, that fact does not mean that certification itself is something
that one can obtain by sending in three box tops from Lucky Charms. I am
sure that many of us can share horror stories from our college days of
hopelessly bad professors. Does that mean that a doctorate is merely
something that can be bought?

Buyer beware. Don't hire an instructor simply on the basis of
certification. Shop around. Ask questions. We are paying for these
people. If we aren't satisfied with the training we receive from them,
then we should be letting Adobe (or whoever is sponsoring the
certification) know about it.

Tim Merrick
Senior Technical Writer
ILE Communications Group