Re: Do you need a degree?

Subject: Re: Do you need a degree?
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:08:42 -0700

I've often felt that the degree requirement was simply that age-old
tendency to choose people who are like ourselves. It's what the old boy
network was all about, after all. We tend to feel most comfortable with
people of similar backgrounds--and managers probably feel better able to
judge people like themselves.

It's not a particularly admirable tendency, but it is pervasive.
Everyone plays on it--some people put their hobbies on their resumes, or
make a point to bring them up in the interview. Partly to provide a
deeper view of their character, but also to open the possibility of
having something in common. We talk about it on this list all the
time--those with nerf ball guns in their offices are not going to call
up for a job those who think indexing jokes are "unprofessional," and
I'm certainly not interested in working for someone who thinks the fact
that I write (but haven't published) fiction makes me a lousy no-good
bum.

So when we see a degree requirement--find out why. Maybe there are
other ways to establish common ground.

NOTE: those big corps with HR departments aren't going to waive the
degree requirement--unless of course you already know the right people.
For three possible reasons: first because some muckety-muck VP who went
to Harvard or MIT set the standards; second, because, like Tracy pointed
out, it upsets their little salary standards and threatens their
hierarchy; and third, which I experienced, because their government
contracts allow them to charge a higher rate depending on the number of
degreed people and type of degrees.
Sella Rush
sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems, Inc. (ATS)