Re: success with finding jobs

Subject: Re: success with finding jobs
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 06:49:39 -0600

>Now that I'm officially a "displaced worker" I might qualify for two years
>of college level retraining. I want to add tech writing to my repertoire.
>
>I've followed the degree debate but no one has stated which classes _are_
>important for tech writing. I already have solid writing skills. I have the
>sheepskin, I have years of experience under my belt--what's my next move,
>educationally speaking?

With a BSBA and MBA, you have all the degrees that you'd
possibly need to work as a technical communicator. You're
probably as "educated" (in terms of learning to learn) as you're
likely to get.

If I were you, I'd look into one of three directions:
1) Get experience. Take an entry-level job (with your current
qualifications, that shouldn't be a problem) and find
out there what you need to learn. Ideally, your boss
and co-workers will be able to help a lot with the learning
and finding out about "real world" technical writing.
Seek out an internship, if possible. Submit your
resume to professional temp agencies as a technical writer.
Also consider volunteering at the institution of your
choice and doing docs there.
2) Take continuing ed courses, online courses from universitiies
visit seminars from companies like Solutions, read
voraciously, buy and use software, and see number 1.
3) If you really will have two years of "reeducation" paid for,
and you want to go back to school, then
look into a practical-type Tech Comm program. That
is, look into something like the Utah State program,
in which the focus is on the practical, real world uses.

As far as _what to take_, take courses in online help development,
multimedia development, writing computer documentation,
writing and editing for the biological sciences, or whatever
you're interested in. That's what's cool about this field--you can
play with any toys you want. ;-)

Make SURE (by talking to the instructor) that your classes will
be practical. That is, you should have a portfolio piece at the
end and spend far more time DOING whatever than in writing
academic papers about the rhetorical theories involved in whatever.

My two cents,
Eric