Re: Has anyone ever hear of an .shg file?

Subject: Re: Has anyone ever hear of an .shg file?
From: Penelope Perkins <pperkins -at- SYNERGEX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:14:19 -0700

Jeff,

It's a kind of graphic on which you can specify "hot spots" (links). You
don't mention what app your online help file was created in, but I
recall using .shg graphics in HDK (a winhelp development app made by
Virtual Media Technology group). I think HDK included a SHED utility to
edit them in. I copied the info below from:
http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxr/gfx/faqs/FileFormats.faq

Penelope

Penelope Perkins pperkins -at- synergex -dot- com
Technical Writer http://www.synergex.com
Synergex Sacramento, California

Subject: SHG - Segmented Hyper-Graphic
Type: Bitmap
Extension: SHG
Version:
Compression: None, RLE
Color Depth:
Maintainer: Microsoft Corporation
Specification: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/Multimedia/SHED.ZIP

SHG is a file format used by Microsoft in the WinHelp on-line help
facility
found in Windows 3.1. This format is used to save a Microsoft Bitmap
(BMP) or
Windows Metafile (WMF) graphic and store the coordinates of specific
areas of
the bitmap known as "hotspots". When the bitmap is displayed and the
user
selects a hotspot, WinHelp jumps to another part of the help
documentation
via a hyper-text link macro stored in the SHG file.

Another file format used with SHG files is the Multiple-Resolution
Bitmap
(MRB) format. MRB files contain one or more SHG images, each rendered at
different resolution. Several SHG files are typically created using the
SHED.EXE utility and then fed into the MRB compiler to create a single
MRB
file. When WinHelp reads the MRB file it chooses which bitmap most
closely
matches the resolution of the display.

SHG is currently officially undocumented by Microsoft, but a rather
questionable specification may be found at:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/Multimedia/SHED.ZIP

Information on SHG and MRB may be found in the following journal
article:

.mrb and .shg File Formats, Windows/DOS Developer's Journal, Pete
Davis,
February 1994 (Vol 5, No 4), pp. 37-46.

Questions about these formats may also be directed to Section 16
(WinHelp/Tools) of forum WINSDK on CompuServe.