Re: success with finding jobs

Subject: Re: success with finding jobs
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- FTC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:01:52 -0600

I agree that a college degree indicates a certain amount of tenacity. But, I didn't read Wayne's
message the way Steve did. Wayne seemed to be criticizing depts/managers who use the college
degree as a filter before they ever consider other qualifications. If a manager takes a quick
look, throws a resume in the reject pile for lack of degree, and never reads on to discover
the applicant's track record includes impressive accomplishments (which indicate similar
tenacity) is that smart? Should a college degree be make or break criteria in hiring when
the qualification(s) it demonstrates can be demonstrated by other accomplishments shown on
a person's resume? I don't think so.

I'm glad I have my degree, mainly because it satisfies my personal goals. Also, I was laid off on
my 40th birthday (pre degree). It was tough getting past the "degree filter." One month after
completing my degree I received calls from three companies that I'd contacted 6 months
earlier without degrees. Each told me they didn't consider people without degrees. Period.
I thought that was rather foolish, considering I had over 200 college credits, when I applied
without the degree--significantly more than a new college grad. Unfortunately, when you
change colleges or majors many of your credits don't apply to the new degree program.
Taking classes that are slightly different to meet a new university's requirements for the
second or third time takes a lot of tenacity. How well did their degree filter measure that?

If all someone considers is whether or not an applicant has a degree, they are making broad
generalizations, not a well-informed decision.

Jill Burgchardt
jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- FTC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV