Whose List Is It, Anyway?

Subject: Whose List Is It, Anyway?
From: Vikki Shine <Vikki_Shine -at- NOTES -dot- TERADYNE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 06:32:37 -0700

First Kathy wrote:
>Before we start discussing any more grammar rules, please remember that
>there are way too many rules and exceptions to rules, and exceptions to
>exceptions, in our wonderful language (try teaching a non-reading adult
>to read, and you'll quickly learn this!) to discuss every nuance here.
>And this probably isn't even an appropriate forum for such a topic - is
>there a grammar listserv somewhere??!!

Then Mikki replied:
>We are writers. This is our list. Grammar is part of writing. Why *not*
>discuss grammar here?
What's interesting about this is, over on the Copyediting list the same
thing just came up, in reverse!
I subscribe to both because they overlap as well as discuss independent
elements of the entire craft of writing. Writing - editing - grammar -
spelling - formatting are so closely related that it's unrealistic to
consider one without the other.
For any of you techwhirlers interested in fine-point discussions of grammar
(etc.), check out Copyediting.
To subscribe: A
Address to <listproc -at- cornell -dot- edu>
Leave subject line blank
Type command on first line in the body of your message: SUBSCRIBE
COPYEDITING-L Your Name
Do not add any extra text
Carolyn Haley
DocuMania