A lurker delurks: Agencies

Subject: A lurker delurks: Agencies
From: Chris and Ron <cdavis -at- CARBON -dot- CUDENVER -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:29:54 -0600

Hello. After working as an ESL teacher and doing some CBT and Web
Development on grants, am now seeking a career change into CBT and Web
Development. One of my first steps was to sign with an agency to do some
contract work. Their first assignment was to send me to an interview for a
full time position as something called "Project Administrator" with a
multimedia/CBT development company. I was pretty excited until I saw the
same job in the newspaper(it was filed under an odd-sounding name and was
hard to find), and now I wonder if I'm at a disadvantage by
interviewing through an agency referral. Is there a usual fee that the
employer pays? Do I have a right to know what that fee is?

I also signed an agreement with the agency that I wouldn't work for an
employer for a year after the referral. This company has other positions
that I might be able to qualify for, either now or in the future. Does
that agreement preclude me from seeking other positions with this company?
It seems like a gray area to me...

If you oculd help, I'd appreciate it. Or maybe I need to post to
alt.listserv.free_legal_advice :)

Christine Davis