Re: Long-distance contracts

Subject: Re: Long-distance contracts
From: Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- CHEBUCTO -dot- NS -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:38:27 -0300

John, this is certainly the crux: it is definitely difficult
to convince clients to use remote tech writing services.

But I'm not sure if the reason is because they know it won't
work, and that successes are the exceptions. There are plenty
of web sites with documented/researched successes (e.g., Yahoo
telework, telecommute), and not many with documented failures. This,
coupled with my own experience, points to the probability that
*not that many managers have tried it to begin with*. Fear of
loss of control/the unknown are probably the main reasons.

As to hints, procedures, and processes, anyone interested might join
the t-telcom mailing list (To: listserv -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org Message:
SUBSCRIBE t-telcom) and "ask around." (Those web sites I
found on teleworking/telecommuting don't have a lot of "how-to" tips
for the wannabe telecommuter -- they are geared to convincing
management.) For what it's worth, my first tip would be to
qualify your prospective clients. For example, if they are looking
for someone with management skills or someone to fill multiple
roles, they probably aren't interested in remote workers.

Suzanne <ac158 -at- chebucto -dot- ns -dot- ca>