Re: Certification Redux

Subject: Re: Certification Redux
From: Brian Martin <martin -at- SODALIA -dot- IT>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:29:27 +0200

Louise O'Donald wrote a very interesting reply to Certification Redux.
She said among other things that:

"...the key benefit would be for the certification to impart a measure
of respect, trust, and confidence..."

When I was growing up, I often met people who asked me: "What are you
going to be when you grow up?" I always found that question strange and
still do. I will be me.

Nonetheless, the very existence of the question makes it plain that
there are those who were not sure what they would be, and that it would
be necessary to make some kind of decision in this regard. The question
also implies that there are those persons out there who will be watching
to see what you become. I never gave much heed to either one of these.

My question is: "Is it necessary to reply?"

Let me get to the point. Why should I become a technical writer? I
already am one. Why do I need a piece of paper to demonstrate that?

Perhaps it is clear enough already that I dislike labels.

To conclude: I think that certification is fine as long as it remains
optional. If there are persons who feel that it would be of benefit,
fine. Let them take the responsibility to get the certificate.

But please stay out of my way. I don't want it.

Thanks. And remember-- I don't mean to offend, just wanted to tickle
your spirit.