Re: Accreditation - Andy's Plan

Subject: Re: Accreditation - Andy's Plan
From: Tim Glasheen <2528 -at- MN3 -dot- LAWSON -dot- LAWSON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:38:00 CDT

Bill, what is your problem? I as SOOOO sick of seeing these stupid posts as
I'm sure there are MANY others. Can't you give it a **&^*%$ rest!!!! For
crying out loud. Did you see Eric's post? You not going to change us
non-certification people with your wordy emails. Take it somewhere else.
(Sorry to everyone for writing about this and wasting your time, but I can't
take it anymore)

On a tech writer note, what ever happened with that repetative email? I was
wondering what that individual did because I am in the same situation where
I have about 20 pages of repetation, but each topic is slightly different,
but those different steps are very important. Ideas/suggestions?

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Accreditation - Andy's Plan
Date: Wednesday, June 18, 1997 10:11AM

Andy Malcolm agrees with the opinion (expressed on this list) that the STC
should become more involved with accrediting the college certification
programs. I have heard the complaint that some certificate programs do not
offer much in the way of work-place skills and are lacking in teachers with
technical communications backgrounds.
Andy wrote me:

" I think that the issue should be accreditation, not certification. There
are increasing numbers of programs in technical communication, yet these
programs are monitored only by the market place. I'm a big supporter of the
market place, but if I had a son or daughter who signed up for a program in
subject that did not prepare my child for any kind of employment when the
catalog
made one think that it did, I would be most angry. STC could deter that by
accrediting programs in technical communication. The IEEE accredits
programs
in electrical engineering, and other socities do the same thing in their
fields. STC should do that as quickly as it is practical."

Accreditation is a direction that STC can move in without a major overhaul
of
the organization that certification would require. It is a good way for
members of the profession to extend more control over skills and
requirements
and let the colleges still do the work.

I think what will happen over time, however, is that the STC's educational
programs will continue to expand. As long as the best teachers must include
those involved in the workplace, the workplace organizations have more
resources for teaching and certifying skills.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com