Re: certification redux

Subject: Re: certification redux
From: Tim Glasheen <2528 -at- MN3 -dot- LAWSON -dot- LAWSON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:44:00 CDT

Why should a technical writer need a Masters degree? That is kinda pushing
it. I don't have one and I'm doing just fine as a writer. I do however have
a BS in technical writing. However, I also do believe that someone can be
just as good or even better than me or you and not have a degree. Higher
education is not the cheapest thing in the world. I believe a lot can be
said for practical experience.
I am also against writer certification, but do NOT think requiring a degree
is mandatory. Although, I am not a hiring manager and do not have to make a
decision to hire someone.

While I am against technical writer certification, I do favor
requiring
would be technical writers to first obtain a bachelor's degree in a
technical field, then obtain a master's degree in technical
writing....