Re: Making myself marketable

Subject: Re: Making myself marketable
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:07:33 -0500

Eric asked:

> With that in mind, what do _you_ do to increase your
> marketability and potential for a newer, better, more
> satisfying position, either at your current employer
> or elsewhere? Or, what should certain of your co-workers, ex-managers,or
> current and former employees consider to make themselves more valuable in the
> marketplace?

For one thing, I took my current job in a suburb of Chicago, rather than
staying in sunny, pleasant Phoenix, AZ. This job is giving me experience
in Frame, Windows help, HTML, and documentation of a multi-tier,
distributed computing environment. I can now put PowerBuilder, Java, C,
and C++ on my resume as things I have documented. I'm running the entire
documentation process and producing some really impressive-looking
things for my portfolio.

Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a production process and we have a
spending freeze right now (at home, too), so the odds of my doing
_extra_ stuff or buying a lot of extra books are pretty low right now.

I want to do some management, but I'm not in position to do that just
now. Other than that, all I'm doing is being passively and vaguely
terrified that I'll be 50 years old and too expensive to be employable.
--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

"Please do not try to confuse the issues with facts!"
-- George Banks, "Mary Poppins"