Re[4]: Certification Issues

Subject: Re[4]: Certification Issues
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:29:08 -0500

It gives you a professional group that not only can identify new
technologies and challenges, but also equip and certify you for them.

Congratualtions, Bill! You've supplied the first point that is unique to
the certification process. I've been looking for a benefit that it is only
possible to obtain via a certification procedure. Now I have one. The first
entry on out list of benefits unique to the certification procedure is "I
get certified." Not compelling in itself, but at least it's unique.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but the assertion that certification "can ...
certify you for them" was begging for something like that. Now, back to
being serious.

As for the other points:

Identify new tech and challenges: "Challenges" is kind of nebulous, but I
think I see what you mean. Still, that's once again a by-product, and an
unimportant one at that. Or do you mean that the certification process will
incorporate new tech *before* anyone starts using it in the field? What are
the odds that the certification process would be the first place we'd hear
about this new tech, as opposed to our co-workers and friends? We should
all wait until the cert process picks up on a new opportunity before
exploring it?

Equip me for the above: Excuse me? A certification process will equip me? I
would have thought I'd need to be equipped before *entering* the
certification process, that the process was supposed to be validation that
I *was* (stressing the past tense) equipped. I don't need a certificate to
motivate me to equip myself for new tech; further, I suspect that anyone
who *does* won't last very long in this field.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224