Re: Certification Redux

Subject: Re: Certification Redux
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:21:11 -0700

Walker, Arlen P wrote:
> I keep hammering at the idea of the benefits of certification in my
> messages on this topic, because that's what I see as the first question we
> need to answer. If there's no compelling benefit to it, then we can all
> save ourselves the hassle of trying to define the core competencies and all
> the rest of the trappings. Oh, some things have been mentioned, but none of
> them *required* the certification process. I need to hear something
> compelling, something that will make me want to stand up and shout "That's
> it!"

In the world of work, certificates, college degrees, and other
credentials of whatever stripe exist to give HR departments CYA. They
are a not very imaginative sorting device to reduce the pile of resumes
that get passed on to the hiring manager (unless the hiring manager is
brave enough to get *all* the resumes and make an independent decision).
The candidate may turn out not to be very good in spite of credentials,
but you can always point to all the credentials to justify your decision
and not get rapped too hard for bad judgment.

--Wayne