Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:27:59 -0400

Understanding that, by technologies, you mean
the company's product, not tools like Frame,
etc., I still hold that this "obligation" is
no more. One company I worked for sent me to
"boot camp" for 6 weeks to learn their products.
New employees now get 2-3 days training if they
are lucky, usually they get nothing.

Some of the large companies (IBM and SAS, e.g.)
still have a reputation for training folks.
But the smaller companies (not necessarily
mom-n-pop small) expect folks to come on,
learn it on the job, and take the initiative
to identify what they need to know and ask
the appropriate questions to find out the
answers. Being able to (1) jump into the fray
and be technical enough to teach yourself and
(2) know when to stop and ask for help when
being in the fray is unproductive are two skills
that are critical nowadays.

A.
--
Alexia Prendergast