Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: Beth Mazur <mazur -at- MAYA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:24:29 -0500

At 7:06 PM -0700 6/16/97, Bill DuBay wrote:
>Are you saying that there are no objective standards by which a writer's
>skill can be measured?

1) We are not all writers.
2) Tests are certainly predictors of who tests well; it's less clear
how well they predict job performance. (Too bad interviews are
pretty much the same.)

While I didn't attend the Larry Kunz presentation on certification, I
did attend the Lance Gelein presentation on tech comm competencies.

Perhaps I am biased (I am not in favor of certification), but I do
find it somewhat amusing that we are investing so much time and energy
on the whole certification thing before the peer committee on competencies
has identified what the "essential" skills of a tech communicator
really are (and if they can get even a semblance of consensus on it).

Beth Mazur
mazur -at- maya -dot- com