Re[2]: Certification Redux

Subject: Re[2]: Certification Redux
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 07:32:30 -0500

How can people know you are good?

By reading what I've written.

Can you depend upon the interviewing company to have a clear
knowledge of how to recognize a good writer?

Let's flip it around: if they *can't* recognize quality work when they see
it, do you *want* to work for them? We seem to forget the hiring process is
a transaction, with *two* parties that need to be satisfied with the
results. If they can recognize quality work and hire you because of it, you
have some assurance (yes, it's not a guarantee, but there are no guarantees
in this life) that they want you to continue to produce that level of
quality. OTOH, if they hire you because of a piece of paper, there's no
indication at all that they know what your standards are and how they will
affect their approach to documentation. The hiring transaction then becomes
a blind transaction, with neither side knowing what to expect. This is an
improvement?

But especially important would be a certificate from my professional
peers testifying that I have the skills they consider essential. That
would be very satisfying to me.

And there's a primary difference between us. I don't give much thought to
what other writers think of my skills. That the *least* important opinion.
Much more important to me are what *I* think of my skills, and what my
employer thinks of my skills. Praise and criticism from third parties,
while welcome, is strictly non-essential.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224