Re: Looking for a new job while employed

Subject: Re: Looking for a new job while employed
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 00:28:01 -0700

BTW: Congratulations, Candace!

>It took me ten months of HARD looking
>to find the exact job I wanted. Despite everything, it was worth waiting
>for.

Gee, your notes would make a good article for some professional publication
or other <smile>.

I just recently discovered the following technique, but I think it will
come in handy in future (It could have saved me a certain amount of
heartache and hunger if I'd known it earlier, but then I wouldn't have
known to be on the lookout for it!)

Anyway... here's a tip when looking for another job while still working one
you can't stand:

Outflank the tattletales....

If the news that you're looking for another job is likely to make things a
little uncomfortable with your current Boss-Bee (and trust me, the news
will get out in the kind of circumstances which make me want to bail), go
to Boss-Bee yourself as soon as it becomes apparent to you that you're
serious about leaving...
(It's of course even more delicious when you run into one of the
tattletales moonlighting at the same place you're moonlighting <smirk>, but
I digress). I was really surprised by Boss-Bee's response...

"If I didn't know you cared about me, and did all you could to make it work
here, I'd be really upset... but as it is, I do have *ONE* request: if you
hear about any other openings there LET ME KNOW!!!!"

<beam>

Dan BRINEGAR, CCDB Vr2Link

Leveraging Institutional Memory through Contextual
Digital Asymptotic Approximations of Application Processes suited to
utilization by Information-Constrained, Self-Actualizing
Non-Technologists.

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com
http://www.vr2link.com <--fixed!