Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 14:38:08 PDT

You're saying, then, that we don't have any certifiable skills. Am I correct?

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com
-------------
Original Text
From: Eric Haddock <ehaddock -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>, on 6/16/97 2:18 PM:
Bill DuBay wrote:
> But don't we have other skills that are stable enough to be certified?

What like? Seriously--I can't imagine what they'd be. We change skills so
often. Skills become important the become unimportant. There are zillions of
TWs who don't have to know a lick of HTML. There are zillions other TWs who
utterly depend on their HTML knowledge. That's just one skill area. What
about
graphic design skills? Some need it, others ignore it--all are employed.
SGML?
I can't even remember what it stands for. Others, that's all they do all day.

The only skill we all share is writing and that's a fluid, subjective
skill.
One person's certifiably good-but-not-great writing is another person's
sub-standard writing.

Stable enough to be certified? My thinking is just the opposite.

Regards from beautiful Wisconsin! :)

Me --> http://www2.pitnet.net/moonlion mailto:moonlion -at- full-moon -dot- com
Work --> http://www.engagenet.com mailto:ehaddock -at- engagenet -dot- com