Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:23:43 -0500

Bill DuBay wrote:

> I'm talking about the company's product. Are you really required to know the
> company's product before you get the job? In my experience, there is always a
> period of learning after you get hired that most often is never addressed by
> the company. Some companies give training to facilitate that learning. Most
> don't. All should.

I don't understand how certification would have any impact on this
issue. Either they are or they aren't going to train us. A three-letter
acronym after our names isn't going to change that. (If it does, it
might discourage training. I imagine some people would say, hey, I'm
paying for a certified tech. writer and I'm paying a premium. Figure it
out for yourself. I'm not paying to train you, too.)

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

"Please do not try to confuse the issues with facts!"
-- George Banks, "Mary Poppins"