Doing it all and Thanks!

Subject: Doing it all and Thanks!
From: Feeman Kevin SC2275 <Feeman_Kevin_SC2275 -at- SATGATE -dot- SAT -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:45:05 MST

I totally agree with Geoff about what he wrote on Friday 13th.
However, I have noticed in 4 out of my last 5 jobs, I have been
required to "do it all," like it sounds like many people on this list
do. Is that good or bad? I think that being a jack of all trades is
mostly a trade off, being good at a lot of things but not a 100%
expert in one or two areas. True, I would love to focus on one or two
areas, but it seems like into days job place, that is becoming rare
where one can focus. This becomes especially true in today's market
of downsizing, wanting one person to do it all, and the rest that has
been discussed a lot on this list. That is why I call my self a
technical communicator, and not strictly a technical writer, editor,
or what have you.

I also wanted to thank everyone (and there were a lot) for your
opinions on a recent post that I did called "Clarity or Talking Down."
To give a little update, after that discussion with my manager about
the procedure, I went forward and did what I thought was right, being
as clear and concise as possible. I decided to take whatever came out
of my decision and deal with it if the xxxx hit the fan, which it
didn't. I put the process on our web page for the developers. Since
then I have only heard good things from the programmers, especially a
comment that the way I had written worked and the previous way didn't.
Thanks again for all your opinions, I value this list more than mere
words can say.

Cheers all!

Kevin Feeman
Technical Communicator
Envision, Mesa Branch
home email: kevinf -at- primenet -dot- com
work email: Feeman_Kevin_SC2275_at_SATCOM23 -at- SATGATE -dot- SAT -dot- MOT -dot- COM