Re: Certification: My Personal Survey -Reply

Subject: Re: Certification: My Personal Survey -Reply
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:04:14 -0500

OK, so I dropped back in on the topic. Sue me. The "survey" title attracted
me.

Did your summary points of the arguments for and against
certification reflect a personal bias?

I won't go so far as to accuse him of expressing a *personal* bias. There
are at least two other possibilities, each providing just as plausible a
reason for the obvious slanting of his presentation.

1) The publication which will be printing the article(s) has an obvious
bias in favor of certification. Even more than writing for an audience,
when you write for publication you have to write for an editor. After all,
if the editor doesn't like what you're saying, the audience will never get
the chance to hear it. How many magazines print articles which are opposed
to editorial policy?

2) He is taunting or "trolling" the anti-certs, just to provoke a reaction.
The motive for this could be humor (tying this to the levity postings) or
it could just be contrariness, or some other motivation. Since I'm not well
enough acquainted with him, I won't speculate further on this topic.

BTW, it didn't take a certifiable piece of paper to enable me to write
this, though perhaps the electrons involved *are* certified. I didn't ask.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224