Re: Interviews and Ethics

Subject: Re: Interviews and Ethics
From: "Donna B. Doucette" <dbdoucette -at- BANDL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:31:04 -0400

Candace Bamber wrote:
>> I worked in a really bad place <snip> I would be very
interested to know what other people did, or what they think.

I was in a similar situation. To balance the ethical requirements, I
presented the workplace environment as a "challenge" to the applicants.
I recall saying things like, "It takes a special person to work here,"
and "You will encounter some unique individuals," and "You must be the
sort who takes pride in a job well-done even if the consultants ignore
your contribution." I tried very hard to maintain this vein when
presenting the truth about the actual working conditions. The applicant
then could decide whether they wanted to accept this challenge.

We got some good employees. They knew what to expect. They handled it as
well as could be expected. And, like the rest of us, once they got
enough of that environment, they left with good fodder for their resumes
and their portfolios.

D. B. Doucette
dbdoucette -at- bandl -dot- com