Re: RoboHELP question

Subject: Re: RoboHELP question
From: "Paul J. Sisler" <psisler -at- WAVETECH -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:17:14 -0500

Tom H writes this stuff . . .

> First, in regards to general organization and files, I have set up nine
help project
> documents, one top-level and eight for the main program areas. Is this a
good plan in
> comparison to some advice I've read and heard that a person establish
files for
> context-sensitive help topics, glossary topics, how-to topics, and
overview topics?

If it helps you organize your topics and maintain them, it's good. Nine
files would be nightmarish for me, but I don't like to categorize my
topics--there's got to be an Aristotle joke in there.

> I am confused by
> the use of IDH identifiers for context-sensitive topics. Do IDHs need to
be attached to
> every context-sensitive topic ID? Is knowing the map number sufficient for
> this?

I think--but I would have to look it up and I am currently using a <GASP!>
Macintosh--that IDH is a commonly used prefix when you're linking to a C
application. What language are your developers writing in? (Please don't
harrass me for putting a preposition at the end of a sentence.) Otherwise,
the prefix will just help you remember that those topics are supposed to be
context sensitive. If you've got a C++ app, more than likely, your
developers are going to give you a list of map IDs, so ignore your .hh and
start thinking about the alias section of your .hpj. If it's VB or Power
Builder or something, you will want to give them your .hh, making it very
clear which topic ID and map number goes with which control.

Write to me offlist tomorrow if you need to, Tom.

> Our developers think that the great majority of topics will be
context-sensitive. I know
> that moving topics from file to file can create a great deal of work.

Not really--if your topics keep the same ID, all your jumps will still work,
just make sure all your footnotes go where all your topics go. Renaming
files can create some hpj editing and such but I don't see why you can't cut
and paste topics with impunity.

Try the wihelp list if you need more guidance--don't have subscription info
on hand, but it's winhlp-l -at- humberc -dot- on -dot- ca, and there is an archive with info
on some http: server at in Ontario. ;-)

buena suerte

Paul

paul -at- sisler -dot- com