Re: Alternative word for "execute"

Subject: Re: Alternative word for "execute"
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- DHC -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 16:01:38 -0500

Carl Stieren wrote:

> I'm finally implementing a suggestion of our former technical editor at
> Simware.
>
> She encouraged us to find a replacement for the word "execution" that means
> the running of a routine or a program.

I can't forget the time I used the word "revolution" in a Mechanical
Calibration lecture to a class of Royal Jordanian Air Force officers.
They all spoke ESL English, but some knew only one meaning of
revolution; in fact they had recently participated in one. There was a
long-g-g-g silence followed by about ten minutes of shouting in
Arabic--not at me--I was just a stupid infidel. What did I know? They
were hollering at each other.

Now they know two meanings of the word.

Buck Buchanan
writer -at- dhc -dot- net