Life? What life?

Subject: Life? What life?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:30:48 -0500

Steven Warren asked about the "Juggle Act", missing out on
some of the events in your own life because of work
commitments: <<Between the studying, the writing, and the
reading of new technology, I sometimes find myself missing
out on those walks on the beach, and the sunsets at night,
and foremost the rain dancing off the streets.>>

It's up to you to decide how much of this you'll accept.
Before I was offered my current job, the big boss noted
that FERIC doesn't pay for overtime; "a long day's work is
a day's work", was the actual line. I responded that I had
no problem with that when the delay was my fault or for
occasional emergencies, but that consistent, ongoing
overtime was their problem, and that they'd have to hire me
some help if that became the normal situation. I got the
job anyway. If I hadn't, I'd have looked elsewhere with few
regrets. Employment is a two-way commitment, and I won't
work for a company that has no intention of treating me as
more than a disposable operating expense. Not everyone has
that luxury.

Have you discussed this problem with your own bosses to see
whether there's a reasonable compromise? Sometimes it's
just benign neglect or ignorance of your situation rather
than a malicious attempt to work you to death and then
replace you. Don't assume that the situation is either
desirable to them or non-negotiable.