Contractor Question -- Customer-Induced Delays

Subject: Contractor Question -- Customer-Induced Delays
From: "Robin M. Allen" <robin -dot- m -dot- allen -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 09:47:47 -0500

Hi:

This question is for all of you seasoned contractors out there. I'm
looking for some language to put in my contract regarding
"customer-induced delays." You know -- your scheduled gets blown away
because the client is non-responsive and then at the 11th hour, *you*
are scrambling to meet *their* deadline.

I'm not talking about software development delays, or a fire at that
wipes out the source code. I'm talking about information they said they
would give you, they know you need it, you know they have it, and they
just won't get it to you.

A consultant friend advised me to escalate the pay rate for each delay
and I've mitigated the problem with one client by charging for
non-productive hours. But I want to make this part of my agreement up
front.

How do you handle this situation?

Thanks:Robin Allen
robin -dot- m -dot- allen -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net