Front Page for printable docs (Sum. & thanks) longish

Subject: Front Page for printable docs (Sum. & thanks) longish
From: Joy Zigo <Joy -dot- Zigo -at- HARPERCOLLINS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:28:46 -0400

On 4/24/97, I posted some questions on this subject (quoted below).
Belated but enthusiastic thanks to the people who replied! The
information they sent is summarized at the end of this message.

>I'm planning a short (6 to 8 page) Guide to an in-house
>application. The document will be available to users in
>hard copy and will also be available on the intranet for
>users who want to print it out from there.
>
>That is, it will not be redesigned for online use, but
>simply posted so as to be readable online and also usable
>as a printed document. I've previously posted short
>documents on the intranet by PDFing MSWord documents. But
>with HTML, I see this as one long page that users can print
>in one fell swoop.

>Front Page has been chosen as the standard authoring tool
>for the intranet. <snip>
>- What experience do people have using Front Page with
>documents that are intended to be printable?
>- Is there a sensible way to make a TOC that would show
>page numbers for the hard copy reader? (If anyone wants to
>simply use it from the intranet, page numbers will not make
>sense...)
>- Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to creating the
>document in Word and then importing it to Front Page?
>- Can Front Page do the .BMP to .GIF conversion of screen
>shots? Would you do that in Paint Shop Pro instead?

============================
Summary of responses:

* Designing the html page(s) as long "scrolls" does facilitate
printing and makes sense. (The readability of long HTML pages is
increased by including a "go to top" button after every page-full.)

* Authoring in Word and then converting to HTML by opening the file in
FP gives you a source document that's editable with a good tool for
editing, Word. If your conversion to HTML is satisfactory and needs no
touchup, this is a good solution. Any touchup in HTML can't be
retained for future revisions, since you can't revert to Word from
HTML.

* Word 95 and FrontPage 97 are a good team for this purpose. In Word
97, you can just save the Word file in HTML, within Word.

* Comment on using FP for documents that are intended to be printable:
"Acckkk! Not good at all. The documents need to be very basic. Not
a lot of formatting. Make sure you use styles, and to help yourself
out, name your styles Heading 1, 2, etc. Bottom line, KISS theory
rules."

* While there are crude ways to put page numbers into html pages (for
example, as <A NAME="" tags> with <BR>'s to control length of pages),
these solutions are inelegant and may require users to have identical
hardware. [I've decided to have users let Netscape or IE put its own
page numbers into its own footers and live with them--JZ].

* FrontPage will do the graphics conversion, and so will the Internet
Assistant for Word.