Re: Color Separations

Subject: Re: Color Separations
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:53:16 -0500

Dennis Hays wrote:

> Geoff Hart said:
>
> First, PMS colors can't be color-separated
> reliably unless you've specifically chosen a color that has
> a good CMYK match. PMS colors are created by mixing inks
> and pigments, not by combining CMYK color plates, so it's
> damn near impossible to get a good match.
>
> I say:
>
> To further amplify Geoff's answer. If you want to get close, purchase a
> Pantone swatch set and you'll notice that some of the colors have the CMYK
> values printed under the PMS color designation. With that information, you
> can go back into the application and set the color to CMYK rather than PMS
> and then produce the plates. You should get reasonably close to the PMS
> color.
>
> However, if you want the exact PMS color, you have no choice but to call
> the PMS color and use just the two plates--the Black and the PMS.

Before this veers even further away from my question, could I just say
that I'm not trying to separate Pantone colors (which of course
cannot--and need not-- be separated). What I'm trying to find a way to
separate are some captured screen images that have been imported into a
Frame document.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019