Re: Converting Windows Help to Mac Help

Subject: Re: Converting Windows Help to Mac Help
From: Kathryn Marshall <kmarsh -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:32:13 -0700

Sue Heim wrote:
> Actually, the Microsoft Help Engine for the Mac *is* freely
> distributable (we checked).
>
> Also, John Renish asked if I could provide more information. You need
> to change the Type to HELP and the Creator to MSH2 (I suppose you
> could use ResEdit; we use a program we created internally to change
> the type/creator).

Correct, but I'm getting lost amongst these emails. My understanding is
that you can only convert Windows help files compiled with version 3
Microsoft compiler. RoboHELP uses version 4 of the compiler. I actually
tried taking a help file, adding the line PLATFORM = MAC to the project,
and changing the type and creator, but it didn't work when I tried to
run it on the Mac. ...I wonder if there is a way to take my help files
and recompile them in an older version, THEN transfer them to the
Mac...nah, that sounds too convoluted.

I think my best bet is to use HTML. RoboHELP converts projects into
decent HTML pages. Then we can just distribute Internet Explorer with
our Mac software. The only other alternative is using Altura's very
expensive conversion software.

Thanks for the input,
Kathy